NMA PRESIDENT PAYS COURTESY CALL ON THE GOVERNOR OF EKITI STATE.
The President of the Nigerian Medical Association, Prof(Dr) IAO Ujah, FNMA, FNAmed, mni yesterday paid a courtesy call on the Executive Governor of Ekiti State, who is also the Chairman of the Nigerian Governors Forum(NGF), His Excellency, Dr John Kayode Fayemi CON at Government House, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State.
The President was accompanied to the visit by members of the National Officers Committee (NOC), namely, Dr Rasaaq Ayodele Adebayo – First Vice President; Dr Daiyabu Alhaji Ibrahim– Second Vice President; Dr Philips Uche Ekpe– Secretary General; Dr Saliu Olugbenga Oseni– Deputy Secretary General; Dr Pobe Degri Jauro– National Financial Secretary ; Dr Aniekeme Aniefiok Uwah– National Publicity Secretary; Dr Francis Adedayo Faduyile– Immediate Past President and Dr Olumuyiwa Peter Odusote-Immediate Past Secretary General.
Also in the entourage were the Chairman of the Ekiti State branch of the association, Dr Kayode Ebenezer Aribiyi and the Chairman of the Ondo State branch of the association, Dr Stella Adegbehingbe.
During the courtesy call, Mr President thanked the Governor for granting the request for a courtesy call and commended him for his Doctor-friendly disposition since he was saddled with the leadership of the state.
The support given to the state branch of the association by the Governor was also appreciated.
The NMA President also commended him for his developmental strides in the health sector and also brought to the front burner some of the issues affecting the state branch of the association and also militating against effective health care delivery.
Some of the requests made by the President included;
1. The payment of 100% enhanced CONMESS to Medical Doctors in the state.
2. The payment of COVID-19 allowances to all Medical Doctors in the state.
3. The payment of enhanced CONMESS by all states in the country.
4. Enforcement of the use of the Doctors Stamp to reduce quackery in the state.
5. The provision of a new bus to the association since the previous one donated by the Governor during his first term in office was destroyed in a ghastly motor accident in 2018.
6. The donation of plots of land to the association.
7. Support for the building of the NMA House by Ekiti State and the Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF)
In his response, the Governor thanked the President and members of his entourage for the honour done him and the state through the visit.
He also congratulated the President and NOC on their election during the virtual ADM/AGC of May 30, 2020.
He also expressed his delight at the progress being made by the association under the leadership of Prof IAO Ujah FNMA, FNAmed, mni and especially appreciated the efforts and sacrifies being made by all Nigerian Doctors towards the control of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Furthermore, he promised the following in line with the requests of the NMA President;
1. An immediate review of the payment of enhanced CONMESS to Medical Doctors in the state.
2. An immediate review of the payment of COVID-19 allowances to accomodate more Medical Doctors in the state.
3. A donation of a brand new bus to NMA, Ekiti State branch.
4. A donation of plots of land to the NMA, Ekiti State branch.
5. A directive to the Hon Commissioner for Health, Ekiti State to intensify the use the NMA Doctors stamp to fight quackery in the state.
6. Mobilisation of resources to support the building of the NMA House in Maitama, Abuja through the Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF).
7. Utilization of the platform of the Nigerian Governors Forum(NGF) to sensitize all the Governors in the country on the importance of implementing the payment of 100% enhanced CONMESS to Medical Doctors in their various states.
8. The commencement of the construction of airport close to the Afe Babalola University Teaching Hospital to boost medical tourism in the state.
In conclusion, other issues of mutual interest geared towards enhancing health care delivery in the state and country were also discussed.
Dr Aniekeme Uwah JP
National Publicity Secretary
Nigerian Medical Association